Topic-Special Education
Mentor- Jaclyn Trasmer
Organization- Parca REACH Program
http://www.parca.org/REACH.html
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Tenth day of volunteering
Today was the kids' first day back from spring break, and of course I am still on mine. I arrived at Crestmoor around 2:55pm and saw that it was packed with parent's cars as well as kids just getting out of school. I walked in the classroom and all the kids that haven't seen me for more than a month were ecstatic. A lot of the kids hugged me and Ms. Clara asked me to help them with their homework. It was a lot of time helping around 10 kids, but it was worth it helping them understand their problems. I worked with one girl who took about 30 minutes longer than everyone. While everyone was outside playing with their homework done, she persisted on finishing hers with my help. At last it was play time for me as well, and I saw this little boy who was just watching kids play soccer while he had a football in his hand. I asked him to throw the football around with me and to my surprise he was really good. He could throw spirals and actually had to teach me how to throw it well. Then it was snack time. I had to keep telling kids to stop making fun of each other as well as to stay in their seats. I expect it was because they were all excited and restless from not having seen each other for a week. We then split up into our small groups and I helped Coach Al and Ms. Clara with their spoon egg races outside. It was amazing to see the kids help out the special ed kids during the races. It really showed me how kids do not judge and will work together to accomplish a goal. After the races, I played basketball with a kid and actually kept losing. The hoops were short for me and I kept overshooting. Then all the other kids went outside for play time as well. It was fun to be there watching them interact with each other. Although I did have to mediate a couple of arguments between the kids. By the time we went inside it was already 5:30! Time sure did fly by. I helped clean by picking up some toys, cleaning the play area, etc. I left after 6pm and felt that it was a very productive day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment